Does your ‘Bad Hair Day’ seem to last an entire week? You might be spending a lot of time on your hair, doing what you think is right, when in turn you have been damaging it for years.
There are lots of little things you could be doing every day that might be causing damage and preventing it to grow properly. Luckily, they are easily fixed once you are aware. Knowledge is power when it comes to hair care and it’s time to make a conscious effort to keep hair strong and healthy.
Here are 5 Common Hair Mistakes to Avoid:
- Brushing Hair When Its Wet – When hair is wet, it is in its most elastic state meaning it will stretch when pulled tight by a regular hairbrush. Where hair is stretched and weakened it will eventually snap. Prevent this by towel drying hair then using a wide tooth comb to brush through tangles.
- Washing Daily – Washing your hair daily strips it of its natural oils that help keep your hair healthy and supple. The solution, use dry shampoo in between washes and a texturizing spray to help style.
- Too Much Conditioner – Have you got an oily scalp that you want to wash on the daily? Oily hair can be caused from too much conditioner at the roots. When conditioning, start from the ends and work your way up.
- Overuse of Hot Tools – Let your hair dry naturally when you can as constant blow drying puts a lot of strain on the hair. Using hot tools including blow dryers, straighteners and curling wands cause split ends, brittle hair and breakage
- Styling too Tight – Putting tension on the scalp is a great way to cause breakage, especially when it comes to tight braids. Ponytails and hair accessories can also stress the hairline which can result in hair being pulled straight out at the root.