Balayage has been the colour gift every low maintenance gal has needed in their lives, but how do we make it stay beautiful in between visits?
Look after your colour at home.
This is a crucial step to maintain the integrity of the hair bonds in your hair as well as the quality of the hair colour. Swimming in chlorine pools, using hair tools without properly protecting your hair and washing your hair without the correct products can contribute to your colour changing. If you’re balayage begins to look brassy or more yellow then it should it’s because you’re not using the right products in between visits…We recommend using Kerastase’s Blond Absolu range to keep the look of your balayage fresh, neutralise brassiness and unwanted yellow tones for a nourished cool blonde.
We recommend: Kerastase’s Bain Ultra-Violet, an intense brass-reducing shampoo/toning formula giving instant blonde illumination.
- Instantly neutralises brass & yellow undertones
- Durable anti-brassiness action
- Restores shines & softness
- Boosts colour luminosity
How to apply:Wet hair then thoroughly remove excess water before applying a quarter-sized amount of shampoo touch by touch onto 5 key zones of the hair. Add water and emulsify. Leave it on between 2 to 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly. We recommend you to alternate with Bain Lumière on a weekly or as a second shampoo for a deeper & hydrating cleanse.
We recommend: Kerastase’s Bain Lumierè. A hydrating illuminating shampoo for lightened or highlighted hair to gently cleanse the fibre, leaving hair light and luminous.
- Deeply & durably hydrates fibres
- Gently detoxifies from pollution, free-radicals and dulling agents
- Smooths fibres for a uniform touch from root to tip
- Improves & illuminates natural shine
How to apply: Wet hair then thoroughly remove excess water before applying a quarter-sized amount of shampoo. Add water and emulsify. Focus this first wash on the scalp using finger tips to remove impurities. Rinse thoroughly. Apply a second quarter-sized amount of shampoo touch by touch and add water. The second lather will produce a more abundant foam which will help cleanse lengths all the way to the ends. Rinse thoroughly.
We recommend: Kerastas’s Cicaflash from their Blond Absolu range. It provides a super shot of care for lightened or highlighted hair with the restorative performance of a masque and the lightweight finish of a conditioner.
- Instant deep fibre repair
- Instantly reconstructs the fibre
- Less breakage for a unified fibre
- Lasting shield against daily erosion
How to apply: Apply a hazelnut sized amount on washed and towel-dried hair. Massage through mid-lengths and ends, avoiding roots to ensure lightweight volume. Leave in for 2 to 3 minutes. Emulsify and rinse thoroughly.
2. MAINTAIN THE HEALTH OF YOUR HAIR.
Protect your hair from heat damage and make use of hair treatments. Trying to maintain the colour of your balayage is very difficult if you’re not looking after the health of your hair. Dry, damaged and brittle hair will leave your hair looking a little rough and frizzy – not the best canvas to show off your balayage (or any colour, for that matter).
For wet hair, Kerastase’s Cicaplasme. An intense leave-in, lavender-coloured fortifying leave-in for lightened or highlighted hair with heat protection to deeply nourish, add extra softness and provide colour stability.
- Heat protectant up to 230°
- Deeply restores fibre overnight
For dry hair, KMS Therma Shape 2-in-1 Spray. To shape and protect from hot hot tools and to finish with extra hold and shine.
- Reduces flyaways when used as a finishing spray for styles that last up to 72 hours.
- Reduces breakage by up to 50%.
3. LEAVE IN TREATMENTS
For keeping your hair healthy and your balayage looking amazing we recommend at home treatment. This is important to strengthen, repair and prolong colour. And you don’t need to go in to the salon for one!
We recommend Olaplex No.3, No.4 and No.5 for you’re at home treatments.
- Olaplex No.3 Bond Perfector is a once-per-week treatment, designed to provide continuous protection from ongoing damage.
- Olaplex No.4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo restores internal strength and moisture levels to add incredible shine and manageability.
- Olaplex No.5 Bond Maintenance Conditioner restores, repairs and hydrates without adding excess weight – eliminating damage and frizz for strong, healthy, shiny hair.
Step 4. Refresh your balayage in-salon.
While balayage doesn’t demand the six-weekly appointments that highlights at the roots do, to keep your balayage beautiful and fresh, look to make small changes when visiting the salon every couple of months. Our stylists will perfect the initial colour and then balayage is all about tweaking it each visit. Whether that means baby foils or micro-foils around the hairline, or a stretch foil to give a grown-out effect. Usually every six weeks we can perform a ‘basin balayage’ which is when we refresh at the basin for 10–15 minutes to completely rejuvenate the colour and repair any broken bonds!